Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Day 19 - House of Doors

Wednesday
All future overnight guests of Casa del Goodwin will be pleased to know that we now have doors for each room!  You may not have noticed in the original photos that were taken before we closed, but there were hardly any doors in the entire house.  Most of the bedrooms had blankets hung on nails for privacy and the closets were either open or had a blanket tacked up there as well.  The few doors that were there were not the style we would have wanted anyways so all doors are being replaced.

We chose the 6-panel door design for the interior doors.  Perhaps it was just wishful thinking but looking at these doors in the store, we kind of thought they were already painted white.  Turns out they are just primed to be painted.  When placed up against the very white door casing, they look more off-white or grayish.  Hey, another thing for me to paint!  The hardware on the doors will be satin nickel handles.  Here's a photo of two bedroom doors and the handle for the front door:
The closet doors will be installed Thursday so Daniel is painting the casings white tonight.  Apparently the slider type closet doors don't come with a casing so we'll be using the existing frames.  Those casings are one of the few original things that will remain in the house I guess!

I stopped at TJMaxx to check out their clearance shelves for decor items.  I found two lamps that I liked for the living room.  Unfortunately, the living room was designed (as most are) without any overhead lighting.  While I'm adding "canned lighting" to the wish list as we speak, for now we will need lamps to see when the sun goes down.  Plus lamps are just a stylish to almost any room I think.  Here's the two I found, and I'm hoping to find the matching floor lamp online.  The photo is a bit blurry.  I liked the brushed silver base with the neutral gray shades.  Going for clean classic styles in this room - I guess I'm not very funky.
Speaking of decor, I loved the ideas I got from everyone who responded to Tuesday's post both in the post comments and on the Facebook link!  I think I'll keep the decor gray walls with black and white in the dining room with just one or two pops of red.  I don't think an accent wall would look as good once we put in the wainscoting - a project for after we move in.  I liked these examples of monochromatic rooms with just one or two pieces in color.  Red is my favorite color so that will probably be our "pop" in the dining room and at least one of the bathrooms.  Of course the style of furniture in the dining room pictured below is more contemporary than anything I own.  After all this remodeling, our old furniture is just going to have to keep holding up for a good long while.

The biggest thing on my mind now for decor is window coverings.  If money was no object, we'd live in a house with enough trees and privacy around it that I would never cover the windows.  In fact, that's pretty much what we did in our old house.  The way it was situated on a hill higher than any of the other houses with our bedroom windows facing the large backyard, I rarely closed most of the blinds.  Sure, folks may have gotten a surprising view occasionally, but that's what good neighbors are for, right?

So what are your preferred type of window coverings?  Wood blinds, Cellular Shades, Vertical Blinds, Aluminum Blinds, Roller Shades, Curtains with or without blinds - so many options!  Keep in mind, I like things that are easy to clean and maintain (what mom doesn't?).  And soon enough, little toddler hands will start exploring whatever I put on the windows.  What do you like best?

Soon we'll have those windows covered to keep the summer sun from waking us up too early so we can keep on dreaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment