Thursday, March 20, 2014

Day 13 - Let them eat paint!

Wednesday
The painting has officially commenced!  While the walls on the first floor will not be textured until Friday, the second floor is done and ready for some serious painting.  

First on the agenda was sealing the cement board that replaced the moldy drywall around the master bath. A small bucket of shower waterproofing paint runs you around $40.  They call it "paint" but I would liken it's consistency to that of rolling chocolate pudding on your walls.  Weird stuff.  It's also a vibrant turquoise color that dries into a dark green.  I rolled two coats onto the cement board to cover it thoroughly.  No mold should be growing in this shower!

We are quite pleased with the results of the texturing.  As I've mentioned, the ceilings were an outdated popcorn texture before.  We now have knockdown on the ceilings (on the left) and orange peel on the walls (blue bedroom wall shown on the right) that will camouflage the drywall repair we've done.

Today we got the walls of the master bathroom, bedroom and another bedroom rolled with the Killz primer.  Unfortunately I was only able to be at the house for a short time this afternoon or I would've gotten more done.  Ah well, a start is a start!  We buy the Killz in giant 5 gallon buckets and are on our second bucket already (the first bucket was used to cover half of the first floor).  Daniel has this neat mixing attachment for his drill that makes stirring these large buckets a breeze.  We use it for both mixing paint and drywall mud.  So much easier than the wooden stir sticks!

In case you're wondering about my extremely fashionable skirt in the photo above, here's a closer look from before I started working today.  I have paint "samples" from every paint job I've done in the past few years collected in various spots on this skirt.  It's my paint scrapbook!  I was excited to get a little turquoise addition from the sealer.  It's the little things people.
While I did a great job (if I do say so myself) getting the windows and furniture covered in plastic before the texturing, I didn't think to cover any light fixtures.  We will be keeping the office fan and dining room chandelier as both are fairly new and in great condition.  Well they were in great condition... now it looks like I will be spending some serious time cleaning the texture mud off of them.  Oops!
 

Tonight while looking through ceiling fan options online, Daniel pulls up a photo of a very small 24 inch fan and says, "Why would they even make a fan this small?  It looks like a fat mosquito!"  So there you have it folks.  Do not put a 24 inch ceiling fan in your home unless you want it to look like an obese insect landed on your ceiling.

Keep dreaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment