Saturday, March 22, 2014

Day 16 - Now THAT'S how you clean a floor!

Saturday
Tonight my husband gets a back rub for all of his hard work on the house today.  We really wanted to get all of the areas that will be carpeted painted before Monday - the entire upstairs (minus the bathrooms) plus the living room and den on the first floor.  Lots of paint!  Thank goodness for Habitat Restore prices.  A 5-gallon bucket is around $55 which is much more affordable than the $20-$30 pricetag for one gallon at the hardware store.

Today Daniel and I (but mostly Daniel) worked on the following:
  • Finished spraying all the ceilings
  • Finished rolling paint on all bedrooms including inside the closets (cutting still in process)
  • Rolled the living room, den and entryway
  • Daniel's dad got the entry way and upstairs landing lights installed (pics to follow as I forgot to take them today)
I spent some time just cleaning up as well.  All the plastic that covered our windows and furniture needed removed.  It was covered in the texture and made a giant mess on both me and the floors when pulled down.  I threw it away in the dumpster.  Now the top layer of trash is all that painters plastic.  This may make the dumpster hauling truck an interesting site going down the road... I hope it doesn't all blow out!  That would make for a serious littering fine.

Unfortunately, today was a tough day for scheduling with Maria.  As I mentioned, our go-to babysitter had something come up that kept her busy most of the day.  I was able to work at the house from about 10:30-1:30, but that was it.  Sometimes, you just have to be the mommy.

My biggest challenge of the day was getting all those floors cleaned.  To be honest, I had no idea how to really get them clean.  Do I sweep, vacuum, mop, scrub?  I just wasn't sure what would work.  But this morning on the way to the house, something wonderful happened.  Daniel got a call from a friend offering to help clean the floors.  He's a pro when it comes to floor cleaning - literally, it's his profession.

He came by the house around 11 to look at the project, then returned with his work van.  He's got some serious equipment in there.
He ran that giant blue hose into the house and went to work on the upstairs bedrooms.  You won't believe the difference that machine made!
Here's a before and after shot of the nursery floor:

So obviously that cleaning equipment (plus the operator!) worked a miracle for us.  A GIANT thank you to our friend Rodney for his amazing work.  Seriously, he took a load of stress off my plate.  And it was thanks to the blog that he knew of our need.  Guess this thing really came in handy for us!

As you can see, the bedrooms had hardwood floors under the carpet.  While in the future we may consider refinishing them, right now it's just more work than we can handle.  They're pretty beat up and badly stained which would mean to LOTS of time spent sanding.  That's just not a project we're up for right now.  So carpet it will be for us come Monday.

By the way, after a second look today, I've decided I like the Autumn Mist color.  It's is a good thing too, considering how many rooms it's going in (almost all of them for now).  We're keeping it very neutral at this point.  Once we move in and I have some decor for the rooms, we may decide to change it up.  This will definitely do for now though, and I'm happy with it.  Looking forward to seeing how the Stony Gray paint looks in our bathrooms and dining room!

Until next time, keep dreaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment