Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Day 11 - "Dad, you taught me everything I know about exterior illumination"

Monday
Monday afternoon I had some new helpers at the house with me.  Faith and Jude, two awesome teenagers from church who are on Spring Break, and Daniel's dad came with me to help with some final touches to get the house ready for the texture guy to come.  I made sure Jude got to use a power tool or two so he could feel like the man of the house. 
  • Faith covered all the first floor windows in plastic
  • Jude removed the towel bars and toilet paper holders from the guest bath
  • Jude sanded down the walls and ceiling areas that had been repaired
  • Daniel's dad took care of the electrical stuff, taking down the light fixtures in the entry way, powder room, kitchen and landing
  • We also moved all the tools and equipment in the house down to the basement  and covered the dining room table and china cabinet so they wouldn't be sprayed with texture






















I included a picture of the kitchen ceiling fan that we took down just because I think it's ridiculous.  It's got to be the world's smallest ceiling fan! 

We took down any lighting that had a large base.  We'll be replacing all the ceiling fans upstairs as well, but we left them for now.  I just wanted to be sure the larger base items got the texture sprayed underneath so we wouldn't be stuck forced to use another light the same size.  Having never dealt with electrical before, I was a little hesitant to start messing with the wires alone.  After watching my father-in-law, I think I could handle it now :).  I couldn't resist titling this post with a line about "illumination" from Daniel's favorite Christmas movie, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. 

I was glad we took those lights down when I saw this underneath.  Was the ceiling really painted that color or is it just that stained from the nicotine residue?  Yuck either way.

We also had our plumber back at the house to replace the walls around the shower.  When removing the old tub, mold was found in the walls so they were cut out along with the insulation.  They replaced the insulation and put up new cement board for us to tile over.  We will need to seal it first before we start tiling.

Daniel went to the house in the evening to put the finishing coats of mud in a few places that were still not quite up to the standard we wanted.  Unfortunately, that meant he had to go back this morning to sand it down before the texture guy arrived at 8 am to get started.  He's a good man! 

Once this texture job is done, that's when the ball really starts moving!  I'll be swimming in paint by the end of this week as every ceiling and wall, including inside each closet, needs to be painted before next Tuesday so we can start the flooring installs.  Eesh, I'm getting a little anxious just thinking about it, but I'm also excited.  It's going to come together quickly after the paint is done so hold on to your hats folks, we're in for a ride!

Keep dreaming big and we'll get there together!

No comments:

Post a Comment