Friday, March 28, 2014

Days 20-21 - The Little Things



Thursday & Friday
These past few days have been difficult for me to work on the house.  My little peanut has been extremely attached and gets very upset if I try to leave her with anyone.  I finally managed to get to the house today for a bit by bringing her with me and having her aunt and cousins entertain her upstairs while I got a few things cleaned up and prepped for the next steps.  Do what works, right?  Esther helped by sweeping the kitchen and dusting the furniture while Julia sang five hundred rounds of Maria's favorite song to keep her happy while I worked.  These hard-workin' girls didn't even have time to change out of their school uniforms before coming over!



All the new doors are now hung with the exception of the linen closet and pantry.  Those doors are both 20" which is apparently a special order size.  They won't be in for another two weeks or so.  I'm glad we got the new exterior doors up so the locks are now changed.  It's always a good idea to change the locks when you buy a new home.  I know I still have a key for our old house (kept by accident) so chances are there are at least one or more keys floating around for this house too.  I'm loving the new front door.  I would have liked to have a bit more glass just to let in extra light, but if you've ever gone door shopping, you know how expensive those pretty doors are.  With all we've got going on, I'm happy with this one.  I particularly love the handle we chose.
Here's the guest bath door with the handle installed and the sliding closet door in the nursery:
Spraying paint on these doors is on the list of things to do after we've moved in.  They're good enough for now!  Already a major improvement to the blanket doors...

One thing I really appreciate looking back at our old house was all the little things the previous owners thought of.  They had extensively renovated that house back in the 90's, and while I didn't necessarily appreciate the wife's affinity for floral wallpaper, the house was planned with love and care.  For example, every closet had a light inside that came on automatically when you opened the door.  The bathrooms all had motion sensor lights in them.  Granted, this occasionally confused our guests when they used the powder room, but I miss that!  The kitchen had been painstakingly laid out in a way that made it so easy to cook in it.  Each bedroom closet had a convenient system to maximize the storage space.  The beauty of living in that house for me was in the lovingly planned details.  I'd like to find ways to put our own thought-out details into this house.  It's the little things that make a house a home.

What are some minor details that you have seen somewhere or done in your own home that you felt went above and beyond?  Is there a non-necessary "extra" you've put in to just add that special touch?  What little things help make your house a home?

Keep dreaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment